We’ve had a very busy term and our teachers are delighted with how our children are progressing at the moment. Please see below some notices for your attention.
Féilire na Scoile
The final day of this term will be this Friday, 31st March and the school will close at 12.30p.m. The usual arrangements will apply. Juniors and senior infants with their brothers and sisters will leave school at 12p.m as will children for busses. All others will finish school at 12.30p.m. School will re-open after the holidays on the 17th April.
Our attendance for the year so far has been 93.7%. the following pupils have had full attendance:
Sarah O’Keeffe, Iarla McArdle, Joni Booth, Grace Kelly, Cormac O’Keeffe, Darragh O’Keeffe, Sarah Bastick, James Cosgrove, Caolán Gilliland, Lorcan Donnelly, Rachel McMahon, Eoin Cosgrove, Lily Horgan
The service of light, Confirmation and First Confession took place in March. We thank Fr. Dooley, Fr. O’Neill, Ms. Lewis and Ms. Greene for preparing the children so well for same. We look forward to First Communion on Sunday 30th April at 11a.m. in St. Paul’s church in Emo.
Well done to all the boys and girls who supported ‘Lots of Socks’ day recently. There was €730 raised. Mile buíochas. The funds collected will go towards Laois Down Syndrome branch.
Well done to all the boys and girls engaging with Mathletics each week. Mathletics keeps maths fresh, varied and enjoyable. The combination of exciting interfaces, awards and rewards ensures engagement with the activities. Children in our school have succeeded in acquiring 153 gold certificates, 644 silver certs and 3300 bronze certs in this school year. The top ten participants in Mathletics so far this year are as follows and congratulations to them:
- Kamila Rama
- Jack Slevin
- Keeva Pratt
- Charlie Merriman
- Lucy Donnelly
- Jan Hadlaw
- Laura Meredith
- Oran Pratt
- Megan Ryan
- Oliver Sower
Heritage in Schools Scheme
On Wednesday 22nd March, Úna Halpin from the Heritage in Schools programme came to work with children from 2nd-5th Class. She focused on Biodiversity in our local area and brought a range of lovely resources with her. The classes explored the school yard and parts of the forest, then identified the trees, plants and insects they found with the help of books and key-cards.
5th Class also got the opportunity to make maps of the school grounds with Úna. They learned how to draw different areas on maps of the school and how to use symbols to signify these areas.
All the classes thoroughly enjoyed her visit.
Vex IQ Robotics
Members of 6th class have been working very hard for the last couple of weeks as part of the schools VEX IQ Robotics team. The initiative has kindly been brought to us courtesy of Laois county council and it is proving to be a very enjoyable experience for the pupils. Vex IQ Robotics is designed to introduce young children to the exciting world of robotics and programming and to foster their interest in STEM education.
Cumann na mBunscol hurling/camogie leagues are ongoing at the moment with the games continuing this week.
Seán Greene has started football coaching with Senior Infants. First and second class are completing their hurling leagues this week. Our thanks to Ms. Casey for organising same.
There has been some good news for parents recently with the announcement by the Minister for Education that schoolbooks copybooks and workbooks will be provided free of charge. It is a welcome development and our school will receive funding from the Government to cover the cost. see communication to parents here.
- The school calendar for the 23/24 school year has been published. See link here.
- There are still a few copies of our Parents Association cookbook available for purchase. Please contact Bernadette if you need one at 0578646868 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seachtain na Gaeilge events took place in March and the children enjoyed the activities . Our thanks to Ms.Lewis for organising same.
- The Department of Education recently announced its 2023 Summer Programme.We are delighted that some of the staff here in the school have volunteered to organise the school based programme again this year. Teachers will be in touch after Easter with the details.
- The very best of luck to our U11 quiz team who participate in the National Finals of the Credit Union School Quiz 2023 in the RDS on Sunday next 1st April. Katie Moore , Pierce Milner, Ronan Crowley and Sean Kiernan will represent the school on the day.
- Our school recently participated in Food Dudes Week where the children got to taste different types of fruit and veg. Our thanks to Mr. Slevin for organising same.