We are well into our second term and there is an excellent atmosphere of hard work in the school at present and lots of interesting educational opportunities to look forward to this term.
Féilire na Scoile: School Calendar
The following are the key dates which will take us up to the Easter.
- Swimming starts for all classes on next Monday 24th See note at this link; SWIMMING NOTE
- School is closed on Monday 16th and St. Patrick’s Day , 17th March .
- First confession on Thursday 19th March.
- Confirmation will take place on April 1st @2p.m. in St. Paul’s church in Emo.
Parents are reminded that the full school calendar is published on our website.
Cumann na dtuismitheoirí ;Parents Association
The Parents Association would sincerely like to thank anyone who contributed in any way to the cake and book sale and raffle . The total raised was €2,961.85
Seachtain na Scoileanna Caitliceacha; Catholic Schools Week
- We recently celebrated Catholic schools’ week. The enrolment ceremony for Confirmation took place on Saturday 8th February in St. Paul’s church Emo.
- As part of our school culture initiative we are focusing on kindness to one another; (Root belief; Sowing the seeds of happiness and kindness helps us to grow) .We have a kindness tree in the front hall of the school and the children are populating the tree with kindness leaves when they receive an act of kindness from one another. We are delighted to say that the tree is blooming!
Tinreamh ; Attendance
The attendance for the school year up to the end the second week in February was 95.62%. There are 37 children with full attendance to date this year.
Cúrsaí Spóirt: Sports News
First and second class have commenced football coaching weekly on Wednesdays. Third and fourth classes have been playing hurling recently.
Rollaithe : Enrolment
We enrolled 25 junior infants for 2020/2021 school year. We will meet with parents and children here in the school on Friday 27th March@ 12.30p.m.
Curaclam na Scoile ; School Curriculum
Our School Self Evaluation focus has been on Science and a draft school improvement plan for science will be circulated in the coming weeks.
We also applied for sustained support from the PDST for the New Language Curriculum and that support will commence in March. There will be a minimum of two half day school closures to be taken for in-service in respect of the New Language Curriculum in this school year.We will notify you in advance of those.
Our computer classes for 1st and 2nd are ongoing and 6th have also had extra computer classes this term. We have taken delivery of 16 new iPads. They are being configured at the moment and we hope to have them in use post mid-term break. Our thanks to the Parents Association for their generous support in purchasing the ipads.
Our thanks to fifth class teacher Hannah Lewis who is working with the children as part of the the Green Schools Committee on the travel theme this year. The new initiative Feet First Friday has been a brilliant success with many families carpooling and a large number of children walking on Friday mornings.
School uniform and tracksuit: Éide Scoile agus culaith spóirt
It is the intention of the school to continue with extra physical activity each day after the mid-term break. In order for children to get the wear out of uniforms they may have purchased this year children are permitted to wear either uniform or tracksuit to school. However, when wearing the uniform, they should also wear their runners.
The staff and Parents Association have circulated a survey to illicit parents and staff’s views on the school uniform and school tracksuit. If you still have to complete the survey you may do so by clicking on this link SCHOOL UNIFORM AND TRACKSUIT SURVEY
The subcommittee will report back to the Parents Association after the mid-term break.