We are well into our last term but it is really an important one. As well as school tours, sports days, football, hurling and rounders, teachers are pressing ahead to get course work completed and very important revision takes place during this term. Therefore, it is more important than ever that your child continues to focus properly on their work, both in school and at home.
Diolachán Císte; Parents Association Cake and Book Sale on Friday 26th May.
It’s time to put all those recipes from ‘Family Favourites’ to good use! Next week our Parents Association annual cake and book sale will take place in the school hall. Details later.
Féilire na Scoile: School Calendar
The following are the key dates which will take us up to the summer holidays.
- Junior Infant Welcome Day will take place on Thursday 25th May @1. 30p.m in Emo NS. Our new parents are invited to attend with your child on that day
- Parents Association Cake and Book Sale on Friday 26th .Details later.
- The school will be closed on the following dates: Friday June 2nd and Tuesday 6th
- 6th Class Graduation will take place on Friday 23rd June@12p.m. Parents are invited to attend.
- The school will close for the summer holidays on Tuesday 27th The calendar for the school year 2023/24 has been published on the homepage of our website. Parents should note that the school will resume after the holidays on Thursday 31st August.
Standardised Assessment Tests are ongoing in the school at the moment for 1st to 6th classes. Standardised assessment is used to measure a child’s achievement compared to other children throughout the country at the same class level. Standardised assessments do not measure a child’s intelligence/ability. Other uses of Standardised Assessments include early identification of learning difficulties, assisting communication with parents and viewing learning trends on a whole class and whole school level. This information is used to inform teacher planning.
Fr. Dooley celebrated First Communion with 22 children in St. Paul’s church on Sunday 30th April @ 11a.m. We would like to thank Fr. Dooley and Ms Lewis for all their hard work in preparing the children for the day. Our thanks to Ms. Greene for preparing the choir so well and to Ms. Breda for all her support.
The following are the dates for this year’s school tours.
Juniors and Seniors – 24th May
First and Second classes; 8th June
Third and fourth classes; 22nd June
Fifth and Sixth class tour; 16th June
Cúrsaí Spoirt: Sports News
- Congrats to our Cumann na mBunscol teams. Three teams have reached Cumann na mBunscol hurling/camogie finals. Congrats to our boys’ A team who won their semi-final yesterday V Gaelscoil Phortlaoise. They will play Ballyfin N.S. in the final. Congratulations to our girls’ A team who have reached the final of their competition and they will play Killenard in the final. Congrats also to our Boys B team who have reached the shield final. They will play Rath in that final. Our thanks to all our teachers who are so supportive of the games in the school but in particular, Mr Costelloe, Mr. McEvoy, Mr. Cushen and Ms. Casey who coach the teams. We’ll send out details on dates and times of the finals when we get them but they are fixed for 30th, 31st or 1st June.
- Our thanks to past pupil, Seán Greene who is continuing to do some football coaching in the school with the younger classes and they are really enjoying it.
- Rounders is upcoming and Mr. Slevin is busy preparing teams for same.
- The attendance for the school year so far is 94% and we have 12 pupils with full attendance.
- Please label jumpers and tracksuit tops. With the better weather children are taking off jumpers and tracksuit tops in school. Please check that they are clearly labelled with the name of your child.
Cyril Duggan (Príomhoide)