We are well into our last term but it is really an important one. As well as school tours, sports days, football , hurling and rounders , teachers are pressing ahead to get course work completed and very important revision takes place during this term. Therefore it is more important than ever that your child continues to focus properly on their work, both in school and at home.Since the Easter holidays we have been delighted to have full assemblies taking place each week in the school hall.
Féilire na Scoile: School Calendar
The following are the key dates which will take us up to the summer holidays. The school will be closed on the following dates: Thursday 2nd , Friday 3rd and Tuesday 7th June .The school will close for the summer holidays on Friday 24th June. The calendar for the school year 2022/23 has been published on the homepage of our website. Parents should note that the school will resume after the holidays on Wednesday 31st August .
The Department will continue to provide a home-based summer programme to support the education or care needs of students with complex or significant needs during the summer break period where their school is not providing a school-based programme. This will be similar to what was provided in recent years. Our support teachers will be in touch with parents in the coming days regarding the programme.
Fr. Dooley celebrated First Communion with 27 children in St. Paul’s church on Sunday 1st May @ 11a.m. We would like to thank Fr. Dooley and Ms. Greene for all their hard work in preparing the children for the day. Our thanks to Ms. Orla and Ms. Ciara for all their support as well.
Díolacháin císte agus leabhair.
Our Parents association organised a cake and book sale last week and it was a brilliant success . Many thanks to all those who baked and helped out on the day. The PA raised €1300 .
Standardised Assessment Tests are ongoing in the school at the moment for 1st to 6th classes. Standardised assessment is used to measure a child’s achievement compared to other children throughout the country at the same class level. Standardised assessments do not measure a child’s intelligence/ability. Other uses of Standardised Assessments include early identification of learning difficulties, assisting communication with parents and viewing learning trends on a whole class and whole school level. This information is used to inform teacher planning.
The following are the dates for this year’s school tours.
Juniors and Seniors – 1st June
First and Second classes; 25th May
Third and fourth classes; 17th June
Fifth and Sixth class tour; 13th June
The Green Schools Committee which comprises of students in Rang 5 have been working on the Green Schools theme of Biodiversity this term. Students have drawn up a map of the school area and logged the various trees, plants and habitats that surround us here at Emo NS. Students also helped to cultivate the school garden with coriander, lettuce, carrots and beans. well done to Ms. Lewis’ class on all their hard work.
Cúrsaí Spoirt: Sports News
- Congrats to our football team on their success in Cumann na mBunscol recently. We were delighted just to get back playing games this year and as usual the boys and girls acquitted themselves brilliantly and behaved impeccably on their travels to the various other schools. Our thanks to all our teachers who are so supportive of the games in the school.
- Our hurling competitions are progressing at the moment. Congrats to Mr. Costelloe and our boys’ A team who won their semi-final today V Ballyroan and will play in the final in two weeks time.We’ll send out details on that at a later date.
- Our thanks to past pupil , Seán Greene is doing some coaching in the school with the younger classes and they are really enjoying it .
- Rounders is upcoming and Mr. Slevin and Ms. Boyle are busy preparing teams for same.
- The attendance for the school year so far is 91.2% .
- Blue and White Day …..well done to all for supporting our minors and congrats to the Offaly supporters among us as well. Blue and White Day Photographs
Cyril Duggan (Príomhoide)