Dear Parents ,
I hope you are your family are safe and well. We ask our school community to remember in their thoughts and prayers , Ms. Breda and her family whose husband Michael sadly passed away this week after a long illness.
Please see some important notices for your attention.
It is our intention to set up online class group chats with children in your child’s class next week (2nd to 6th classes only).The purpose of the chat is for children to talk to their teacher and other classmates from a well-being point of view. We request that an adult be present or nearby when this chat is ongoing.
This chat will take place on a secure platform called WebEx. The online classroom can be accessed by using the link sent to you by your teacher via Komeer. If you choose to access the online classroom by phone you will need to download the Cisco WebEx Meets app. There is no cost to download the app, or to attend the classroom chat you’ve been invited to join.
In order for your child to attend the chat you need to confirm that you have read through the guidelines below and consent to their participation on the basis of the guidelines.Consent may be granted by replying YES to this message on or before Saturday 9th May at 5p.m.
Teachers will schedule pupils for the group meetings and forward that schedule on Sunday .
General guidelines for video calling:
- A parent must show that they are present at the beginning of the meeting and remain nearby for the duration of the classroom chat.
- Ensure that the background visible for the video call is appropriate and does not contain personal aspects.
- The class teacher will invite the pupils to the call and act as the host.
- The class teacher will always be the last to leave the online meeting to ensure that pupils can’t re-join the room afterwards.
- There will be another teacher present for all classroom chats.
- Groups will be alternated for each classroom chat.
- Dress appropriately. Regular clothes. No PJs!
- Pick a room that is not a bedroom and does not have traffic passing
through. Be mindful of noise from other people or pets.
- Only turn on your microphone if you are asked to speak. Muting your microphone when you’re not speaking gives others the ability to chime in and share their thoughts without distraction or frustration.
- Be respectful as we would in a class situation. Remember that you are in a classroom, even if you are not wearing your uniform.
- Under no circumstances can videos or pictures be taken during classroom chat (this includes screenshots, screen recordings, video and pictures).
- No food allowed.
- Stay seated and stay present. Do not leave the room or talk on your phone.
- Please be aware that we are very much restricted to the time slots given.
- Try to be patient with the technology and each other.
Every second year in May we celebrate Grandparents Day in Emo National School. It is a day for celebrating the connections between the generations and a day our teachers, pupils and grandparents really look forward to. We could not be celebrating it at a more appropriate time. The self-quarantine experience has taught us many lessons, including the importance of spending precious time with our families and the vulnerability of older people among us.
We may not be in school for this year’s Grandparents Day but all that means is that each child tries to make a special effort to celebrate their Grandparents. We’re requesting children to help us put a collage of positive messages about our grandparents together that we hope we can publish on our website on May 15th. So click here for a template. The template contains a section for a picture of your grandparents and the second section provides an area for your child to write a note/ message to their grandparents. When they have completed the task and are happy with their efforts just upload the finished page to the same link or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org .
First Holy Communion
This should be a special weekend for pupils in 2nd class who were due to make the First holy communion on this Sunday. We are already looking forward to gathering together for those very happy occasions again in the future. In the meantime, Bishop Denis has recorded a message for the children who were preparing to celebrate their First Holy Communion in the coming weeks. That video can be watched at https://www.facebook.com/KANDLEi/videos/284722092537437/